Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Musings: Episode One

So I was chatting with a friend today, discussing writing and the idiosyncrasies we both deal with in our writings.  Her characters giving her trouble in her novel and my...chronic inability to actually force myself to sit down and write.

I realized that my problem is not actually the writing, because I don't have any problem making up stories.  I can run with pretty much any topic, the problem I need to get around is that I make these stories for an audience.  When I'm on my own I can never think of anything, but when I have people around I can run with literally any topic.

I can write non-fiction without any problem, I can sit down and write non-fiction whenever I feel like.  So I guess the trick is figuring out how to tell stories to myself?

Although I'm not sure how to do that.  I tell stories to entertain people, but I don't go to myself for entertainment...that's what television is for.  The other part of the issue is that I don't type as fast as I talk, so my hands can't keep up with the story I'm telling.  It's been recommended that I try one of those transcription programs, but that still doesn't resolve the entertainment side of things.

But I'm pretty clearly looking at this the wrong way.  This isn't a problem that needs to be solved.  I just need to write more.

No comments:

Post a Comment